Thursday, October 6, 2011

Bottled Salsa

My sister-in-law gave me this recipe. It's the best one I've found. I really like this salsa. It's very good on chips and breakfast burritos.

BOTTLED SALSA

20 c. tomatoes, peeled, seeded, diced and drained
8 c. onions, diced
2 ½ c. green bell peppers, diced (about 2-3 large peppers)
1 ½ c. Anaheim chili peppers, diced (about 2-3 large peppers)
½ c. jalapenos, diced, seeds left in (about 5-6 peppers)
3 Tbsp. salt
2 Tbsp. garlic salt
4 Tbsp. sugar
1 1/2 c. white vinegar
¼ - ½ c. cornstarch, mixed with a small amount of the liquid from the pot

Combine all ingredients (except cornstarch/liquid) in a large pot. Simmer to desired consistency. If desired, add cornstarch/liquid and boil for about 3 minutes to thicken. Put in jars, close with new lids. Process pints for 15 minutes and quarts for 20 minutes.

To make milder salsa, reduce the amount of jalapenos and make up the difference in green bell peppers. To make a spicier salsa add a few more jalapenos.

Makes about 14 pints
Process at 15 lbs. pressure or for 20 min.


Sara's Notes: I added more suger (1/2 cup) and cut back on the vinegar (1 1/2 cup). I added 6 jalapenos with no seeds and it's very mild. The next batch will be with 7 or 8 jalapenos with the seeds. (Update 10/24/2011 - I made another batch with 8 jalapenos, I only used the seeds of 3 of the jalapenos and it's got a kick, but it's still really good.)

No comments:

Post a Comment