Thursday, October 6, 2011

Canned Pears

Pears Pears and more Pears... I bottled 6 bottles with what was ripe. I have to wait a few days for those shown above to start to ripen. Probably in two days.
However, the six bottles I did can turned out beautifully. There is something fulfilling about growing your own fruit and putting it in jars to enjoy later.
This is my favorite way to eat home made bottled pears. With fresh cottage cheese.

Bottled Pears

Syrup:
2 C. Sugar
4 C. Water
boil in large pot to desolve sugar. THis will make a medium syrup. I think the next time I make it I will do 1 c. sugar to 4 c. water for a light syrup.

Clean pears by pealing off skin and removing core.
Place pears in a bath of lemon juice and water (to prevent browning). I used a large bowl with about 3/4 gallon of water and a cup of lemon juice.

Place clean pears in steril jars, stuff them in, without smashing them, because they tend to float. Add the hot syrup. Wipe off the lip of the bottle and add a canning lid that has been in boiling water. Add the ring and process for 15 minutes. Bottles will seal after removed from the process.

I will take pictures of a processing pot next time I bottle. (In a few days).

No comments:

Post a Comment