Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Chicken Enchilada Pasta

I found this recipe on-line a few weeks ago and decided I wanted to try it. It turned out pretty good. My family liked it and I would definatly make it again. However, because I was out of chili powder I used taco seasoning and a pinch of cayenne pepper. It was a little spicer than I would like. But I'm a wimp. Spicy stuff isn't my favorite. But, it had a great flavor and I really liked it.

The prep work was very fast and easy.
Saute the onion and garlic then add the diced peppers.
I always use a pressure cooker for meat that needs to be super tender and shredded. For chicken I use a chicken base or chicken stock for a better chicken flavor. Just plain chicken boiled in water is awful. Plus, I strain the broth and put it in a bag and freeze it for another meal.

CHICKEN ENCHILADA PASTA

2-3 chicken breasts, cooked & shredded
2 tbsp. olive oil
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 medium onion, diced
1 red pepper, diced (I used 1/2 red and 1/2 green)
1 {4 oz.} can diced green chiles
1/2 tsp. salt
2 tsp. chili powder (I was out of chili powder so I used taco seasoning)
1 tsp. cumin
2 {10 oz.} cans green chili enchilada sauce
2/3 cups red enchilada sauce
2 cups shredded cheese {I used colby & monterrey jack}
1 cup sour cream
Penne pasta

Optional toppings
Avocado
Green Onions
Black Olives
Tomatoes
Sour Cream
Cheese
Crushed Tortilla Chips

Cook chicken, drain, and shred. Meanwhile boil pasta according to package and chop the veggies. Heat the olive oil in a deep skillet and cook onions for about 3-5 minutes. Add garlic & peppers and cook for another 3-5 minutes. Add cooked chicken, green chiles, cumin, chili powder, salt, & enchilada sauces. Let sauce simmer for about 8-10 minutes. Add cheese and stir until the cheese is melted and heated through. Stir in sour cream and mix until heated through. Drain pasta & return to pot. Pour sauce over pasta and mix well. Serve and garnish with avocado, tomato, green onion, black olives, a dollop of sour cream, and crushed tortilla chips.

No comments:

Post a Comment