Thursday, March 15, 2012

Chicken Enchiladas with White Chili Sauce

My neighbor is the best cook. I truly mean that, she's AMAZING!!! I remember once having Chicken Enchilada's at her house when I was about 11 years old. They were AWESOME!!! I begged for the recipe, she gave it to me, but I lost it. I haven't dared ask for it again.

I saw this on Pinterest the other day and decided to give it a try. I made several changes so I can call it my own. But, when I tasted it, it was like I was thrown back to my 11 year old self eating the culinary creations of my amazing neighbor!


CHICKEN ENCHILADAS


12 Soft Taco Shells (I made two pans, one had 8, one had 4 - to give away)
5 Chicken Breasts - Shredded (cooked in a pressure cooker with chicken base for flavor, broth will be used later)
2 C. Shredded Monterey Jack Cheese
1 C. Shredded Cheddar
1/2 C. Shredded Mozzarella
6 Tbs. Butter
6 Tbs. Flour
1/2 tsp. Chili Powder
Pinch of Cayenne pepper Pepper to taste in sauce - Optional
3-4 C. Chicken stock (strained and used from cooked chicken)
2 (4 oz) cans of diced green chilies

Preheat oven to 350 degrees, grease a 9x13 pan and an 8x8 pan if making extra.

Mix shredded chicken with 2 C. cheese mixture and 1/2 C. sauce

In a sauce pan, melt butter, stir in flour and chili powder and a dash of pepper, cook for one minute. Add stock and whisk until smooth. Heat over medium heat until thick and bubbly.

Stir in Chilies - Add 1/2 C. to chicken mixture.

Add 2 C. Sour Cream off the heat, you don't want the sour cream to boil, it will curdle.

Pour remaining sauce over rolled enchiladas and top with remaining cheese.

Bake for 25 minutes and then under a high broil until cheese is brown.

No comments:

Post a Comment