Monday, October 24, 2011

Broccoli Cheese Soup

This recipe is supposedly the same as the soup at Panera. (It's been so long I honestly can't remember, but it is FANTASTIC soup!) Panera is a great little cafe that I would go to often when I lived in Nebraska. I wish it would make it's way west. I loved Panera!


BROCCOLI CHEESE SOUP


2 TBS. Butter, melted
1 Large Onion, chopped
1/8 tsp. dried thyme (optional)
1/2 C. Butter, melted
1/2 C. all purpose flour
4 C. Half and half
4 C. Chicken broth
1 lb. fresh broccoli
2 C. Julienned carrots
salt and pepper to taste
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
16 oz. sharp Cheddar Cheese, grated

Sauté onion in butter and thyme. Set aside. Whisk butter and flour over medium heat for 3-5 minutes, until flour looses it's raw flavor. Stir constantly and slowly add half and half and chicken stock. Still whisking.

Simmer for 20 minutes.

Add Broccoli, carrot slices and onion. Cook over low heat until veggies are tender, about 20 minutes. Add salt and pepper, the soup will have slightly thickened. Blend soup with a hand mixer or carefully transfer hot soup to blender. Puree. Return hot soup to pot and add cheese. Stir until well blended. Add nutmeg right before serving.

Makes 8-10 servings.

Notes: I cut the recipe in half and it served 5. I also like to have a little bit of broccoli in my soup. So, after I blended everything I added several broccoli floweret's and simmered until they were tender. I didn't have a bread bowl to serve it in, but it's best in a sour dough bread bowl. Next time I will make sure I have one handy!

No comments:

Post a Comment