Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Nectarine Cream Tart

Last week I bought a dozen nectarines, it was a good deal. Last night I wanted to make something with them, so I looked through a few of my many cook books and didn't find anything for nectarines by themselves. There were a lot of berry and nectarine options, but I didn't have any berries. So, I improvised and made up my own thing. It turned out AWESOME! It was so yummy.


Nectarine Cream Tart


Crust:
1 C. Flour
1/2 C. cold butter cubed
1/3 C. Sugar
1/4 tsp. Almond Extract

Combine until the consistancy of corn meal. Refrigerate for 1 hour. Press into tart pan after chilled. Cook in preheated oven, 400°, for 15 minutes or until golden brown around the edges. Remove from oven and cool on cooling rack.

Cream Filling:
1 1/2 C. Milk
1/2 C. Sugar
2 TBS plus 2 tsp corn starch
pinch of salt
Mix until combined and cook on medium heat until mixture starts to thicken.
Mix two egg yolks in a seperate bowl. Once milk mixture starts to thicken add a small amount (two spoon fulls) to the egg yolks. Stir until egg yolks are tempered (this should be creamy). Add egg mixture to hot milk mixture in pan and mix continously. Once everything is combined and mixture is thickened add 1 tsp of vanilla and 1 tsp of almond extract.
Move cream mixture to a bowl and cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until cool.

Glaze for Nectarines:
1/2 C. Sugar
1/2 C. Water
1/2 Pkg. of sugar free peach Jell-o
1 tsp. lemon juice
Cook until sugar and Jell-o is desolved and pour hot mixture over sliced necterines in a seperate bowl. Let sit until cream mixture is cold and ready to put in crust.
Once cream is in the tart, I placed the slices of nectarines around the tart. I didn't use all the glaze, I just let the glaze cover the nectarines. This gave a good flavor and a shiny appareance.

I then refrigerated it for an hour. The crust is buttery and the cream is very good with the almond flavoring. The combination of buttery crust, almond cream and nectarine with a slight glaze was delicious. This is a must try!

1 comment:

  1. Wow! I am super impressed with your blog. The pictures are beautiful and the food looks fabulous. I love it :)

    ReplyDelete