Monday, October 17, 2011

Pear Butter

I've never made Pear Butter until this weekend. I had several pears that needed to be used or used as compost on my garden. I choose to use them. I cleaned them and tossed them in a crock pot with some orange zest, fresh orange juice, cinnamon, nutmeg, and sugar. I cooked it for 8 hours blended it to make it smooth, added a little cornstarch and bottled it up. It is delicious!



PEAR BUTTER

5Lbs Pears, cleaned and diced
1 C. Sugar
1/2 C. Brown Sugar
2 tsp. Cinnamon
1 tsp. Nutmeg
Zest and juice from one orange

Cook until pears are tender and can be blended and mixture is thick. A little thicker than applesauce. I added 2 Tablespoons of Cornstarch mixed with a little water and let it cook for 30 min. I poured sauce into small jars and processed for 20 min. Yummy stuff.


I tried it on a slice of banana bread. Believe it or not it was DELICIOUS! (Banana bread recipe is coming next.)

Side Note: I am sure this can be done in a pot on the stove, but I choose to do it in a crock pot so I could get other things done throughout the day. It worked out perfectly! I bottled pears and apples and made Banana bread and went for a walk and took it nap while it cooked.

No comments:

Post a Comment