Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Sara's Apple Pie

I love apple pie. My grandma makes the world's best apple pie. She doesn't use a recipe she just makes it. So, I have sort of followed her lead, I don't use a recipe. I use one for the crust. That will come next. But, the filling is done to taste. The secret to a great apple pie is cooking the filling first. Every time I've put the raw ingredients in a crust the apples are always too crunchy and the crust is too brown. So, to make it all come out perfectly, you must cook the apples first.


SARA'S APPLE PIE

Peel and slice several apples (about a dozen, I use a variety, Granny, Gala, Yellow Delicious, Jonna Gold)
Saute the apples in:
4 Tbs. butter
1/3 C. Sugar
1/3 C. Brown Sugar
2-3 tsp cinamon
1/2 tsp all spice
1/2 tsp cloves
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp salt
1-2 Tbs flour


I like to decorate my apple pie with leaf cut-outs. Because this was just for my family, I didn't make it very fancy, I didn't cut air holes (oops) and I didn't take a picture of the pie sliced. Apparently we were all too anxious to have a slice with some vanilla ice cream. Perhaps I will make another one around Christmas and take a picture then.

I made this one a few years ago, not as pretty and a little too much sugar on top, but still delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment